Wireless Charging is not for India !

 


Wireless Charging Sounds Cool Until You Use It in India

When I bought the Nothing Phone (1), one of the features I was genuinely excited to try was wireless charging.

It was my first phone with wireless charging, and honestly, I thought it was going to change the way I charged my phone. Just place the phone on the pad and forget about cables. It sounded incredibly convenient.

But that excitement didn't last very long.

I used wireless charging for a few days, and then I basically dropped the idea.

The biggest reason? Heat.

My First Wireless Charging Experience Wasn't Great

With the Nothing Phone (1), I noticed that the phone would get noticeably hot while charging wirelessly. Not just slightly warm — hot enough for me to start questioning whether this was actually good for the phone.

After using it for a week or so, I eventually stopped relying on wireless charging.

I went back to the good old cable.

At that point, I thought maybe I was simply being too sensitive about the temperature. I didn't really think about it much afterward.

Until something happened recently.

Then My Friend's Car Changed My Mind Again

My current phone is the OnePlus 12, and my car doesn't have wireless charging, so I don't normally use it.

Recently, one of my friends got a new Mahindra XUV 7XO, which has a wireless charging pad. Awesome car by the way!

While I was in the car, I casually placed my OnePlus 12 on the wireless charging pad without really thinking about it.

The car's AC was running at around 19°C.

So this wasn't some situation where the phone was sitting inside a hot car under the sun. The cabin was properly air-conditioned and genuinely cool.

After some time, I picked up my phone.

And I was honestly shocked.

It wasn't warm. It was HOT.

That's when I started thinking about this whole wireless charging thing again.

If my phone can get that hot while sitting on a wireless charging pad inside a car that's being cooled to around 19°C, what exactly happens when you're using wireless charging in normal Indian ambient temperatures?

Now Imagine Indian Summer

This is where I think wireless charging becomes particularly interesting for Indian users.

We already deal with high ambient temperatures during summer. Depending on where you live, your room, office, car or outdoor environment can get seriously hot.

Now put a phone on a wireless charger in that environment.

The phone is already starting with a higher ambient temperature. Then you introduce the additional heat generated during wireless power transfer.

And that's where I start questioning whether the convenience is worth the thermal trade-off.

If the phone gets hot at 19°C AC, I really don't want to imagine what the experience could be when the surrounding temperature is 35°C or higher.

And Then There's the Battery

This is probably the part that worries me the most.

Smartphone batteries don't exactly love heat.

High temperatures can accelerate battery ageing over time. That doesn't mean one wireless charging session is going to destroy your battery, but repeatedly exposing a battery to excessive heat is not something you want if you're trying to maintain battery health for several years.

And that's why I personally don't see wireless charging as an everyday necessity.

What's the point of saving myself the trouble of plugging in a cable if I'm constantly dealing with more heat while charging?

For me, the cable wins.

Maybe Wireless Charging Makes More Sense in Colder Countries?

This is where I think geography matters more than we sometimes admit.

In countries and regions where ambient temperatures are frequently below 20°C, wireless charging can naturally have a different thermal environment. Places across parts of the US, Canada and Europe also experience genuinely cold winters, which means phones aren't constantly starting from a high ambient temperature.

That doesn't automatically make wireless charging perfect there, but the thermal conditions can certainly be more forgiving.

India is a completely different story.

For much of the year, we aren't dealing with cold ambient temperatures. We're dealing with heat.

So when I look at wireless charging from an Indian user's perspective, I struggle to see it as an essential everyday feature. For me, at least, the convenience simply isn't enough to justify the extra heat.

And during an Indian summer? That's when I would be even more reluctant to use it regularly.

And What About MagSafe?

Then there's MagSafe.

On paper, MagSafe sounds like a fantastic feature. The magnetic attachment is clever, accessories can snap into place, and the whole ecosystem feels incredibly convenient.

But if we're talking specifically about charging, I still have the same question: why would I choose a method that can generate more heat when I can simply plug in a cable?

Where MagSafe gets genuinely interesting for me is everything around charging.

Magnetic wallets, stands, car mounts, desk accessories and other magnetic attachments can make the system incredibly useful even when you're not charging.

So I can see the appeal of MagSafe as an accessory ecosystem.

But as a charging solution? I'm still not convinced.

Wireless Charging Is Convenient — But Is It Practical?

I completely understand why people love wireless charging.

It's convenient. Put the phone down and it starts charging. In a car, especially, it can be extremely useful.

But convenience isn't the only thing I look at anymore.

After using the Nothing Phone (1), I stopped using wireless charging. Then, years later, my experience with the OnePlus 12 in a 19°C air-conditioned car brought the same concern back.

And now I can't stop thinking about it.

Maybe wireless charging will eventually become much more efficient and generate significantly less heat. I'd actually love to see that happen.

But until then, I'm perfectly happy plugging in a cable.

It's not futuristic.

It's not fancy.

It just works.

And in a country where the weather itself can already make your phone struggle with heat, I'll take the boring cable every single time !

Comments